Ask more, know more, do more

Social Shopping, Consumers Look to Social Media Sites for Gift Ideas

Social Shopping, Consumers Look to Social Media Sites for Gift Ideas

On December 12th, our chief monkey Dave Goldberg, appeared on Bloomberg West with Deirdre Bolton for this month’s SurveyMonkey Shakedown segment to chat about the state of social media shopping. December’s survey focused on how social media sites are influencing consumers’ shopping habits, which sites people are looking to most frequently for gift ideas, what they are buying the most often and how. Using SurveyMonkey Audience, we surveyed more than 700 Americans to get their thoughts on the matter. Check out the segment and take a look at the survey findings below.

Social shopping is up, driven by younger demographic, and- of course- deals

  • Although 60% of respondents reported that their rate of shopping through social media sites didn’t change, 25% said they did more shopping via social media sites in 2012, as compared to 2011.  What’s driving this change?
  • Age makes a difference! When looking at the 18-29 crowd, 35% said they did more social shopping this year than last. 29% of shoppers aged 30-44 and 21% of respondents aged 45-60 reported doing more social shopping in 2012 than 2011
  • Deals also help drive up social media shopping. 30% of all respondents said they found better deals on social sites than in brick and mortar stores.

Pinterest is growing as a popular spot for gift ideas

  • 77% identify Facebook as the social media site they visit the most, while only 2.4% said the same about Pinterest.
  • However, of those that use social sites for gift ideas, Pinterest (21%) came in at a close second to Facebook (24%). Keep your eye on Pinterest as a growing gifting and commerce destination.
  • Among younger consumers, Pinterest holds the clear advantage: 18-29 year olds say it’s the most important social site to use when getting gift ideas at 36%. Facebook came in at a close second (25%).

Electronics and Media lead the way for social purchases

  • The two leading gift categories for social media shopping are Gadgets/Electronics at 13% and Media such as movies and music coming in at a close second (12%).
  • Rounding out the top three is Clothing, with 10% of social gifts falling into this category.

People prefer to use their laptops or desktops to find gifts rather than their mobile devices

  • Don’t overlook laptops or desktops with social media shopping. The majority of people looking for gift ideas said they preferred to use their laptop (49%) or a desktop (28%) rather than their mobile devices.
  • Smartphones and tablet usage for social media shopping came in pretty even with 8% of respondents choosing to go with their smartphones and 9% for their tablets.
  • The use of smartphones among 18-34 year olds increased at 13%. Tablet usage was flat.

Shoppers are getting more out of their cyber-experience

  • Americans said that they enjoy combining shopping with their day-to-day social media activities at 17% and 16% said they found more items that they wanted on social media sites.
  • More than a fifth of the population (21%) is shopping for multiple gift items via social sites year round.

Friend recommendations are leading to some purchases

  • More than 40% of social shoppers bought items that were mentioned or highlighted by their friends on social media sites.
  • Of those who did buy items that their peers shared, 15% did so through a social site. The other 85% purchased the recommended item elsewhere.

To see the full set of results, click here.

Have you been looking for gifts on social media sites or are you planning to? Let us know and leave a comment below!

Tags: , , , , ,

2 thoughts on “Social Shopping, Consumers Look to Social Media Sites for Gift Ideas

  1. I discovered your blog webpage on google and check some of your early posts. Continue to keep up the particularly fantastic operate. I just additional up your RSS feed to my MSN News Reader. Looking for forward to reading even more from you later on!

    red soled shoes

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Inspired? Create your own survey.

Make your own survey

Sign In

Sign up to get started

PRO Sign Up 
Sign Up FREE

Latest Features

Curious about what we’ve been working on?

View New Features

Get expert survey help

Get expert survey help


Best practices for planning expert surveys

Planning makes writing your survey easy.

Download eGuide

How many responses do you need?

Use our sample size calculator to find out!

Calculate now

Analyze survey data like a pro

Learn to slice and dice data using the Analyze tool.

Download eGuide