Ask more, know more, do more

Game of Thrones: Does Tyrion Lannister still have what it takes to be POTUS?

Game of Thrones: Does Tyrion Lannister still have what it takes to be POTUS?

Game of ThronesBefore Season 6 of Game of Thrones began, we conducted a survey about peoples’ opinions on the show. One question pitted characters against the current major political candidates, and found that Tyrion Lannister was preferred over Hillary Clinton, Donald Trump, Ted Cruz, and John Kasich, and was tied with Bernie Sanders.

But now that the season’s done, how are they faring?

Well, Tyrion has had some ups and downs trying to manage Meereen, while the landscape of the US presidential campaign has also seen its share of hills and valleys. Democrats and Republicans each now have their presumptive nominee (sorry, #Bernies).

We surveyed over 1,600 Americans on SurveyMonkey Audience to get their thoughts on both the state of POTUS here in the US and to compare, their predictions on the state of the mythic Westeros.

Here’s what we learned and oh yes, SPOILER ALERT: for those of you who have yet to see the GoT finale, read at your own peril.

It seems the past few months have favored Hillary Clinton over the other presidential candidates in comparison to fan-favorite fictional characters.  She now leads the presidential poll out of Bernie Sanders, Tyrion Lannister, Jon Snow, Daenerys Targaryen, Donald Trump, and Cersei Lannister.

Without Bernie as an option, Hillary still comes out on top with a similar level of support. Interestingly, it was Daenerys that moved up on this version of the poll most, so perhaps Hillary should find a VP that can bring dragons to best court Bernie supporters. Trump did poorly in both versions of the poll, though he can take solace in beating at least one candidate: the current monarch on the Iron Throne, Cersei, who received exactly 0 votes.

Graph 1 pres with bernie

Graph 2 pres no bernie

When looking at peoples’ favorite character, Tyrion once again leads the pack, but not by as much as before Season 6 started—Jon and Daenerys have gotten much closer to him in 2nd and 3rd place, respectively.

Graph 3 fave char

In April, we had survey respondents guess at the next character to die on the show. In second place out of the options given, with 15% of respondents, was Tommen Baratheon, so congratulations to those that guessed him correctly (as well as the few people wrote in Margaery Tyrell or Ramsay Bolton who died even earlier).

This time around, people are not feeling good about Cersei’s chances of surviving, with 20% betting she’ll be the next to bite some Westeros dust.

Graph 4 next to die

Finally, one new question we asked this time around involved the romantic pairings that viewers most wanted to see happen. Despite never having met, and being (likely) relatives, Jon and Daenerys was the clear favorite at 32%.

Another 32% want a relationship for Brienne of Tarth: 18% want to see her with Jaime Lannister, and 14% want to see her with Tormund Giantsbane.

Graph 5 romantic pairing

More GoT data for you super-fans:

  • The U.S. still seen by most as a better functioning government than the Seven Kingdoms (72%), but that still leaves 28% that think it is worse
  • People are split 50/50 on whether the Blackfish is really dead; I guess we can’t trust off-screen deaths in this show
  • Most people (75%) think the Starks are currently in a better position than Lannisters; Despite having the throne, the Lannisters are losing family members faster than Starks these days
  • Jaime Lannister may be already on his way to redemption from his initial introduction of throwing a child out a window: most (76%) see him as more of a good guy than bad guy
  • Only 65% think Rhaegar is Jon Snow’s father; the rest think it is Ned Stark (24%) or someone else (11%). People may be unsure about what the scene represented, or unconvinced that there won’t be yet another plot twist to his parentage
  • Brexit may have rubbed off on show viewers: 58% think Westeros would be better off if the individual kingdoms left to become independent realms, while only 42% think they should remain as one united kingdom

Questions, comments? Let us know below!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Get feedback from your target market

Get feedback from your target market

Learn More

Create a survey today

Start Now

Share your opinion. Help nonprofits. It’s a win-win!

Take Surveys

Get expert survey help

Get expert survey help


Survey design tips & guidelines

Follow best practices for better results.

See tips

How to reach your audience

Get the right people to take your survey.

Learn more

Analyze survey data like a pro

Slice and dice data for market insights.

Get guide