These days, our smart phones have become our saviors when it comes to all things boring. Whether it’s waiting for a friend for dinner, or in line at the bank, we whip out our trusty techno friend to keep us occupied.
But what about those moments of boredom in a frequently visited, more private space? That’s right, folks—on the good ‘ol porcelain throne.
It may (or may not) surprise you that of the 400 Americans we surveyed via SurveyMonkey Audience, 61% of them said they’ve used their mobile phone while in the bathroom.
So without further a-doo, here’s the inside scoop on what happens behind those closed lavatory doors:
- 49% of people take the time to catch up on text messages
- A whopping 92% are checking Facebook. (We don’t want to read those status updates…)
- An immodest 31% answer their phones while in the bathroom, and 44% have heard the toilet flush while on the phone with someone else
- Have you ever really had to go, and waiting for someone to come out seemed to take forever? Well it could be because 31% of people say they’ve stayed in the bathroom longer than necessary in order to finish mobile activity
- The good news is only 9% of bold bathroom mobile users have dropped their device in the toilet
We don’t see this sort of activity going down the drain anytime soon. So the next time you’re waiting in line for the bathroom, don’t be afraid to knock! Click here to see more coverage of the results. And just in case words aren’t enough, here’s a handy infographic at your indisposal:
Want to run a study like this one? Find lots of different people willing to take your survey via SurveyMonkey Audience. And if you’ve got a funny story about using your phone in the bathroom, let us know in the Comments below!