2012-2013 Matched Advising Program for Sophomores: Sophomore Application
1. Matched Advising Program for Sophomores (MAPS): Overview
Recognizing that sophomores at Brown lack a structured, peer academic advising option, in the Spring of 2009 the Curricular Resource Center and Dean of the College jointly introduced a new program geared to meet the advising needs of sophomores. The Matched Advising Program for Sophomores (MAPS) pairs second-year students with senior mentors for one-on-one support related to concentration declaration, course of academic study, research opportunities, summer internships, and general counseling. In addition to one-on-one peer advising, MAPS will coordinate four panels throughout the program geared toward sophomores, and organize five focus groups that will provide MAPS mentees with a space to discuss the challenges, opportunities and experiences unique to sophomore year.
Please be aware that, should you be selected as a participant in MAPS, you commit to:
1. Attending the Inaugural Brunch – October 13th
2. Speaking with your mentor on regular basis
3. Attending two panels (one hour in length) throughout the program
4. Attending one focus group with other MAPS mentees during the program
5. Filling out Mid-Semester and End Of Year evaluation forms
6. Attending the Mid-Semester Welcome Back Party – February 4th
7. Attending the MAPS Send Off Party - April 23rd
Please ensure that you complete all pages of the application so that we may pair you with the best mentor possible.