Save Kambah U-pipe
Save Kambah U-pipe
The Kambah U-pipe was constructed around 1980. It is located on the southside of Canberra at Laidlaw Place, Kambah ACT 2902 near the flying fox in the adventure park. It is an icon in the skateboarding world, cherished by the locals and a drawcard for visitors due to it's uniqueness. Given its age it is still in great condition. It is a challenge to ride because it has no flat bottom like a normal half pipe, hence its "u-pipe" status.
It has featured in media across the world and is known internationally. Many magazines not just in skateboarding, but other pursuits like bmx feature the U-pipe. There were questions in 2007 about it being filled in, but follow up at that time with the ACT Government suggested there were no plans at that stage.
In October 2012, an email was released under Freedom of Information that showed plans for the ACT Government to fill the U-pipe in due to it being a potential safety risk and a challenge to clean, because of its depth - even though it is fenced in. These are not new safety issues. Skateparks exist all over the world with these risks being managed.
There was no consultation with the Canberra Skateboarding Association about this idea. To our knowledge there was no consultation with any skateboarders. We want to save the U-pipe because:
- It is an icon and part of Canberra's skateboarding history
- We plan to run further events to pay tribute to the challenging features of the U-pipe
- It is a minimal cost to maintain
- Other skateparks in Canberra have similar terrain that are maintained due to the aspect of being challenging to ride and not a safety risk
To our knowledge there has been no incident of anyone falling in. It is fenced and has stairs down to the roll in so that people can't get "stuck" inside it.
SIGNING THIS PETITION WILL SUPPORT:
- Saving the Kambah U-pipe
- Acknowledging its historic status as an icon in Canberra and Australia
- Exploring options to improve safety at the U-pipe
- Providing options for it to be utilised more frequently and for events
- Providing options for the community and the Canberra Skateboarding Association to support the ACT Government to maintain and continue the legacy of the Kambah U-pipe
YOUR DETAILS WILL BE KEPT CONFIDENTIAL AND ONLY USED TO SUPPORT THE PETITION TO SAVE KAMBAH U-PIPE FROM BEING FILLED IN OR DEMOLISHED.
PLEASE COMPLETE THE QUESTIONS / DETAILS BELOW.
Thanks for your time and support.
Luke Brown, President Canberra Skateboarding Association inc.