BCDP is currently working with other partners in the development of an ambitious programme of activity for 2014 to mark the centenary of the start of the First World War and the 75th anniversary of the start of the Second.
Although the main focus will be the World Wars, we're also looking to include other areas of twentieth-century conflict which have links to the city including the Spanish Civil War, Cold War, Korean War and Suez. We'll be covering the different branches of the military, the armaments industry, life on the home front, pacifism and anti-war campaigns, among many other topics.
This will be a programme similar to Brunel 200 in 2006 and BAC 100 in 2010 that will aim to provide a range of opportunities to learn about the past that are suitable for different age groups and different levels of existing knowledge. We want to involve as many Bristolians as visitors, audience members and participants as we can.
Ideas under consideration so far include:
* Major visual art exhibition at Bristol’s City Museum and Art Gallery that will also include elements of local history
* Exhibition on post-war planning in Bristol
* New publications and free educational resources to accompany the exhibitions
* New work around war memorials and what they mean to local communities
* An online map and free smartphone app which identifies several hundred locations in Bristol linked to the various wars
* Resources to help people find out more about family members, or members of their local community, who served in the First World War
* Talks, lectures, debates, films and guided walks on a war-theme as part of the Festival of Ideas, providing a variety of topics and perspectives
* Website providing What's On guide as well as historical background information with opportunity for the public to contribute stories and information
* A performance of wartime music and song
* A theatrical performance
To help us in our plans and to provide the data we need for our applications for funding and sponsorship, we would be grateful if you would complete this short survey.
Responses are anonymous unless you specifically wish to be added to the mailing list of potential volunteers. If you have a question or a comment that requires an answer please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for your help.