Instructional Leadership Academy January 2013: More Rigor and More Fun with Team-Based Learning
1. Academy Overview
Academy Dates: January 14 and 16, 2013 9:30am to 3:30pm
Location: ITLAL Underground (Library 69)
This Instructional Leadership Academy will take you through the process of transforming a traditional course into a TBL course. $500 will be made available to UAlbany faculty members who implement TBL in Spring 2013 and meet the following benchmarks:
** Attend an orientation meeting the week before the academy begins.
** Attend two-day Academy, January 14 and 16, 2013; 9:30am to 3:30pm
** Complete substantial homework/reading assignments before Academy begins and between meetings
**Undergo a pre-semester review of syllabus and early lesson plans by ITLAL staff (week before classes begin)
** Have observation of class by ITLAL staff before midterm of Spring 2013 semester
** Conduct mid-term survey of students before midterm of Spring 2013 semester
** Meet with other Academy participants for a mid-semester update, lunch provided
** Write a brief reflection essay on the experience of implementing TBL
Application Deadline: January 10, 2013.
There are a limited number of seats for this Academy. Seats will be filled on a rolling basis as satisfactory applications are received. Non-UAlbany instructors are welcome to apply as long as seats are available. To learn about guest fees, please contact ITLAL at email@example.com.
Here are the basic drivers of TBL:
1. Students work in permanent groups so they can improve as a team over time.
2. All team work is done during class to eliminate scheduling problems.
3. Students are held accountable for preparing thanks to the “readiness assurance process.”
4. During class meetings students use content to make decisions, then analyze their decisions through comparison with other teams.
5. Immediate feedback techniques motivate students to work productively
6. Students are responsible to each other by means of graded peer evaluation
Please click Next to begin your application.