Au Pairs in the UK market survey
Au Pair Services
I am interested in your views on Au Pairs, and Au Pair agencies, whether or not you have ever used, or are currently using, either (or both). Au Pairs can be hired on a long term basis or for shorter periods of time e.g. to cover the school summer holidays. The whole arrangement can be very flexible to suit the needs of your family.
Your Au Pair in the UK would expect to :
- Work between 25 and 35 hours per week (over 5 days) to meet your needs, and babysit for up to 2 nights a week.
- Look after your children (aged 3 and above) and do some light housework.
- Be treated as part of your family, improving their English and taking part in a cultural exchange.
A UK family would expect to;
- Pay between £80 and £100 a week pocket money depending on the hours worked, but irrespective of the number of children to be cared for.
- Provide an Au Pair with their meals and their own room in your house.
Au Pair Placement Agencies tend to charge a single flat fee of around £125 - £250 depending on the services required.
The key functions for an Au Pair agency are to:
- Provide advice and guidance on how to hire an Au Pair.
- Match your family needs with an appropriate Au Pair.
- Obtain evidence of appropriate criminal and medical checks from prospective Au Pairs.
- Check personal references provided by prospective Au Pairs.
- Make sure that only the details of Au Pairs who meet your requirements are forwarded to you.
- Sort out the necessary paperwork between you and your Au Pair.
- Provide support and assistance throughout the time an Au Pair is with you.
Now I would like to get your views! Please continue to the next page.