Fall 2013 TLC Peer Leader Application (New)
TLC Peer Leader Application- New
Themed Learning Communities are a group of two or three courses taken the same semester and consist of the same group of students. A TLC focuses on a common theme across several different classes and disciplines, such as humanities and sciences. This gives students the opportunity to engage deeply with a course theme, connect learning across courses in collaborative and active ways, develop relationships with peers/faculty, and ease the transition into college.
Students must meet the following qualifications:
· Have a cumulative GPA of 2.50 or higher
· Be in Sophomore, Junior, or Senior standing
· Demonstrate an ability to communicate effectively with first-year students
· Be able to serve as a positive role model for first-year students
· Have 5-7 hours per week to commit to the position during the semester the TLC is offered
WHAT DO PEER LEADERS DO?
· Attend a TLC class (one)
· Coordinate & host study sessions which meet once a week
· Follow-up with students: phone calls and/or emails
· Assist with logistics of field trips
· Assist with assessment gathering (MAP-Works)
· Document field trips (if applicable for TLC) & some classroom settings with provided media (cameras & video cameras)
All TLC Peer Leaders should allow 5-7 hours per week to dedicate to this position. Meetings with the instructor(s) are also required as needed. There may be additional opportunities and peer mentor meetings throughout the semester with additional opportunities for leadership roles.
QUESTIONS? Feel free to contact the Office of Student Engagement & Experiential Learning staff at 815-753-8154 or at email@example.com.