U.S. Women and PrEP: Special Opinions Survey
Copy of page: Survey re: sex work, transgender, genderqueer, and/or drug use issues
Thanks for agreeing to look at this survey. We would really value your answers. All you have to do is check off whatever boxes below apply to you. You can check as many as you want.
There are two questions at the end where you can write in your own answers, if you want to. But if you just want to check boxes and do not want to write any answers in, that’s fine, too.
Before you start, here are a few things we want you to know for sure:
· PrEP stands for Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis. It means taking a pill (an anti-retroviral drug used to treat HIV) every day to reduce the chance that you will get HIV if you are exposed to HIV during sex or drug use. PrEP is a tool for HIV prevention –something that HIV negative people take to help them stay negative.
· PrEP is NOT A REPLACEMENT FOR CONDOMS!!
It is always safer to keep HIV OUT of your body than to try to stop it once it is in your body.
The best way to keep HIV out of your body during sex is to keep another person’s cum or sex fluids from entering your body. You can do this by using female and male condoms for penetration or by having sex in ways that do not involve penetration.
Clean works and other harm reduction supplies can reduce the chances of HIV entering your body during drug use. PrEP cannot replace these safety strategies. But it may help people who do not always use condoms or have harm reduction supplies on hand.
· How well PrEP works depends mostly on whether people take it every day or not. If you take it on schedule and do not skip pills, it may provide a lot of protection. If you do not take the pills regularly, it will likely provide very little or no protection. This has been proven.
· Doctors can prescribe PrEP if they think you need it. Your doctor or clinic may also be able to help you get the medicine for free if you cannot pay for it.
· Websites are listed at the end of this survey where you can get more information.
Now here are the check-box questions. PLEASE CHECK AS MANY BOXES AS YOU NEED TO.