This job shadowing program requires NO fees from participating students or employer hosts. Students are informed of their responsibility to cover the costs of their own transportation, food, and lodging (if applicable).
If your organization requires a background check for students job shadowing during a one week period, please note that the student(s) and/or UCF will NOT be responsible for covering that cost.
Because this job shadowing program is open to all students without GPA or class standing requirements, UCF Career Services does NOT screen students/recent alumni prior to participation in the Externship program. If your organization is seeking to use this Externship experience as a job candidate screening tool, please note that UCF does not collect resumes, transcripts, proof of U.S. Citizenship, age or other specific demographic information for this program. If screening candidates is your company's intent, the request for documentation of qualifications should be coordinated between your organization's Human Resources office and the student(s) AFTER UCF informs you of a student match. It is expected that all organizations informed of student matches will honor their commitment to serve as employer hosts.
Employers participating in the Fall Expo, Spring Expo and Statewide Job Fair have the option to pre-screen candidates for the externship program during those events. If preferred matches are identified for a job shadowing experience during an expo or job fair, the employer needs to provide the name(s), phone number(s) and email address(es) of the student(s) to the Externship staff within a week of the recruiting event. Because the externship program is primarily a career exploration opportunity intended for students to explore different industries, fields and professional options, UCF Career Services does NOT facilitate pre-screening activities.
This is not an internship or co-op, which indicate college credit or pay. By registering for this experience please note that UCF's number one goal is to match as many students from all majors and class levels with all available host employers. Students will be self-selecting into job shadowing experiences based solely on the information you are providing in the registration form above.
1. Students rank their experience preferences based only on the description and information each registered employer host provides in the above registration form, NOT based on the company name. Students do NOT receive the company name until after they are preliminarily matched with an organization.
2. Matched students are encouraged to research the organization with which they have been matched. Time is given for students to decide whether or not they wish to accept this match.
3. Once the decision to accept the match is made, the student much complete and submit a commitment contract to UCF Career Services to secure that match.
4. At that point, an Externship representative will e-mail you the student names, majors, class levels, and contact information (email and phone number).
5. After the commitment contract is completed and submitted, the student(s) will then receive the primary point of contact's information for the organization and are instructed to call the host by phone to clarify details of the schedule and job shadowing logistics (such as parking, attire, days and times to shadow, etc.) prior to the first day of the externship program. The Externship team will not be coordinating these details with the student(s) except for communicating the information listed above during the ranking selection period. Registered students are provided training in regards to expectations and norms of a professional work environment prior to the matching process. If a student your organization is matched with does not arrive or demonstrates behaviors outside the scope of normal professional standards, please contact Heather Engelking.