Register for the Smith-Merritt Speaking Contest for your Chance to Win Money!
Rules and Considerations
1. The speech must be a 7-9 minute persuasive speech
2. The competition is open to students who are enrolled in CMN 1310/1390 this semester (Spring 2013).
3. The speech must be the original work of the contestant.
4. You may use notecards or a manuscript to deliver your speech.
5. Extemporaneous delivery is expected (do not read your speech).
6. You may use visual aids.
7. All speeches will be evaluated using the same “Speech Rating Scale.” You can view the scale at the following link: http://eiu.edu/~commstudies/1310SpeechComp.php
8. Students who participate must be available on both evenings of the competition. Arrival time is 5:30 on 04/22 and those who advance to the final round will need to arrive at 5:30 on 04/23.
First place is $500, second is $300, and third is $100. All finalists will also receive a certificate.
You will receive a confirmation email once your application is received with specific instructions regarding the first day of the competition. In the mean time, please feel free to contact Dr. Rich Jones at email@example.com with any questions.