Answer key for Spring quiz:
1. You respond to the scene of a motor vehicle crash involving a 10 year old child with an obvious head injury. His GCS is 8. A non-trauma center is 15 minutes away by ground. An adult level 2 trauma center is 25 minutes away by ground. A pediatric trauma center is 45 minutes away by ground. You can get a helicopter to the scene in 5 minutes. What is the best transportation choice for this child?
c. Transport by air to the pediatric trauma center.
2. There are six pediatric trauma centers in Ohio located in Akron, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, and Dayton.
3. An injured child at high risk for developing hemorrhagic shock or acute respiratory failure is 15 minutes by ground to the pediatric trauma center. This patient should be transported by:
4. A 3 year old was hit by a car when he ran into the street. He has a rigid abdomen and an obvious deformity of his right femur. He needs definitive care at a pediatric trauma center which is 30 minutes away by ground. Your squad is at the scene. This transport would take your squad out of service for an extended period of time. You could:
c. Call for a helicopter and mutual aid
5. Which of the following ways can you help to decrease the time it takes for a helicopter to arrive at the scene?
d. All of the above: Immobilize the patient and provide immediate interventions; secure a landing zone; request a helicopter as soon as you think one may be needed