Ohio University Consent Information
Title of Research: Testing designer QR Codes
Researcher: Kevin Berisso
You are being asked to participate in research. For you to be able to decide whether you want to participate in this project, you should understand what the project is about, as well as the possible risks and benefits in order to make an informed decision. This process is known as informed consent. This form describes the purpose, procedures, possible benefits, and risks. It also explains how your personal information will be used and protected. Once you have read this form and your questions about the study are answered, you will be asked to participate in this study. You should receive a copy of this document to take with you.
Explanation of Study:
This study is being done to determine how easy it is to scan designer QR Codes (such as the one below) with as wide a range of cell phones and bar code scanning software as is possible. This information will be used to advise those that are creating these bar codes as to what does and does not work.
If you agree to participate, you will be asked the model and brand of your cell phone, what bar code scanning software you use and to scan a series of designer QR Codes. After scanning each QR Code, you will need to answer “yes” or “no” as to whether or not you could scan it.
You should not participate in this study if you are under the age of 18.
Your participation in the study should last about five minutes.
Risks and Discomforts:
No risks or discomforts are anticipated
This study is important to the mobile marketing community because there are an increasing number of QR Codes being used, and many people (maybe even you) have tried to scan them only to find that they don’t seem to work. It is the goal of this research to help those that design the codes to do a better job.
Confidentiality and Records:
No personal data will be recorded during this study. We will not collect any demographic information, and will not be collecting computer addresses (IP addresses).
If you have any questions regarding this study, please contact Kevin Berisso at email@example.com or via phone at 740-593-1453.
If you have any questions regarding your rights as a research participant, please contact Jo Ellen Sherow, Director of Research Compliance, Ohio University, (740)593-0664.
By agreeing to participate in this study, you are agreeing that:
• you have read this consent form (or it has been read to you) and have been given the opportunity to ask questions and have them answered
• you have been informed of potential risks and they have been explained to your satisfaction.
• you understand Ohio University has no funds set aside for any injuries you might receive as a result of participating in this study
• you are 18 years of age or older
• your participation in this research is completely voluntary
• you may leave the study at any time. If you decide to stop participating in the study, there will be no penalty to you and you will not lose any benefits to which you are otherwise entitled.